Tuesday, July 18, 2006

PC RPGS?

Oh I love acronyms lol. I have never been a huge fan of rpgs even though I own alot of Final Fantasy games, but I have only beaten one. RPGs done right can be addicting as hell like Final Fantasy Tactics. I have never been big on PC RPGs since they mainly consist of clicking of the mouse constantly to kill something. I'll go over some RPGs that basically blew chunks or that I love for the PC.

Diablo series
I don't like it at all. It is so boring and mundane that I don't understand how it has such a large following. The beginning video on the first one is very moody and creepy and the music is too, but actual gameplay is as primitive as Gauntlet with a mouse and keyboard. I guess the online is where the real action is at and I might change my mind when I try that out, but in all honesty, I can't picture myself playing this game a bunch online. The only thing I like by Blizzard is StarCraft and thats the best RTS I have ever played.

Neverwinter Nights
Felt the same as the game above, but seemed more interesting. Alot more reading which I don't like that much especially when it feels like a generic fantasy game. I only played the demo and maybe these games are better online, but yeah. For now, I am not that impressed.

Deus Ex
I love first-person shooters. Well, I don't love everyone and this is a definate case. I might be pushing it by calling it a RPG, but it feels like one and it has alot of talking and text trees. It also has skill menu where you can upgrade skills. I never got past the first level of this game and I can honestly say that some of the things in the games are pretty revolutionary like the fact that you can basically pick up everything. It felt too stealthy and I honestly can't stand that when it feels like a trial and error fest like Splinter Cell. I should enjoy it, but I can't. It is in the category of games that are so hyped up that I don't understand like Final Fantasy VIII and the whole Resident Evil series except 4.

System Shock 2
I haven't played much, but I remember alot of reading and not much playing. If I did play, it would be for a few seconds until I died. It seemed interesting enough to give another try.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The whole reason for this little blog of bullshit. I got this game last Wednesday and I've played it for 19 hours in the past 7 days. I love this game. It feels so immersive even the generic feel of the races and such feel wholly original and fleshed out. This game is a work of art and has so much shit to do even if you get stuck on a quest, you can just do something else. I can't imagine beating this game anytime soon, but its alot of fun.

I need to try Bioware's other PC titles like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and maybe even play some Ultimas, but for now, PC RPGs haven't impressed me that much. I might try Guild Wars or some MMORPGs or something. I'll stick to FPSs for now and I should probably play more RTSs, but whatever.

No comments: