Friday, July 21, 2006

Based on a True Story or Events

Thats a line I never liked to see before a movie. It already gives you the impression that you will not be caught off-guard or surprised throughout the next hour or so. It already tells you that the director and crew take this film so seriously that they believe they are showing the audience some form of truth. Truth in cinema? Is that possible? I don't believe in truth in cinema thats not to say that cinema shouldn't make people feel what they are seeing is realistic. Cinema verite was a whole film movement based on trying to make the films as realistic as possible by using documentary film techniques even though whats on screen is usually written down in a script. Some of my favorite films are a part of this sort of idea of cinema like Battle of Algiers and John Cassavetes's films. Werner Herzog used documentary techniques on some of his films, but they are often bizarre like a dream. Thats what I believe films should be like. They should be like dreams. They feel frighteningly realistic, but you see things before that aren't possible in real-life. Truth has no purpose in films even if the film is autobiographical. Those type of films are usually based on fuzzy memories. Films should be based on dreams, fuzzy memories, and other images and ideas that are floating around in the director's skull. Why would I care about truth? Can't I just live my life and see truth through my eyes? I don't need a movie to show me truth. I want the director to show me his interpretation of truth. This post was based on a idea and an interpretation of truth like everything else is and should be.

No comments: