Monday, July 17, 2006

Week in Review #4 or Day in Review?

I only watched one movie this week and thats basically it. I've decided I'm gonna write more blogs about videogames since I've been playing more and more of them lately or have I? I am currently in the process of watching Satantango which is directed by Bela Tarr. IT is a whopping 7 and half hours long. The beginning, I was impressed as hell, but now it feels like a chore just like Werckmeister Harmonies. He just seems to go overboard with some of the stuff that slows down the film's pace and basically hurts the film. Some scenes are so beautiful that I almost feel I should give it 4 stars, but I don't know. We'll see after I watched the whole thing. I've only seen 2 hours so this might be my movie of this week.
L'Argent(directed by Robert Bresson)
This is the first film of his that I can honestly say I enjoyed. Nothing felt distracting. The acting usually distracted me, but it didn't here. It felt soothing and mediative(?) in a way. I read a interview with Bresson and he says he wants to stimulate the eyes and the ears to create a truly audio visual experience. You often hear cars during this film and sound is usually used to change the setting. You usually cars whizzing by or the sound of a person walking before the setting changes. The story's themes are very old fashion, but not told in a very original way. A man's life basically crumbles after receiving counterfeit money. It causes him to lose his job and the respect of everybody. He can't get a job because of the incident and ends up turning to crime. He gets more jail time and his daughter dies and his wife leaves him. His life is basically shit just because of counterfeit money. His life takes a violent turn and yeah. Music was used minimal in this film and maybe thats what was distracting me in his other films since he used music in a very distracting way by basically blarring it. I never paid attention to sound that much in his other films. That might have been my problem. I dug it.
**** out of ****

No comments: