Monday, March 27, 2006

A Man Escaped


This film kind of wins me over about Robert Bresson. I've seen two of his films before, but it didn't really allow me to become involved since the acting was emotionless. The acting is still the same in this film, but I feel the protagonist's conquest is more heroic than the others in his other films. This is not the typical prison escape film. There is none of that hanging around with the guards and fellow inmates. It feels like prison and you can honestly understand why somebody would want to escape. This film is amazingly realistic and builds suspense without feeling manipulating. The Bresson style still seems off-putting to me. The lack of emotions makes it hard to get into the story. I understand during this film that I need to force myself to get into it instead of just watching the images. I hope the next Bresson film I see, I will fall in love with.

Pros:
-Suspensful
-Realistic
-Systematic
-Heroic

Cons:
-Emotionless
-Not many different settings

Overall: A good prison escape film
*** out of ****

No comments: