Sunday, March 26, 2006

Amelie Review


It is a breath of fresh air. I've been watching alot of movies that haven't really been hitting the spot with me. This film hit the spot. Sure, it might not be as deep and complex as the other movies I've been watching, but at least it hits the spot. The film is light-hearted and feel good. I found it interesting that a director is the romantic target in this film. His name is Matthieu Kassovits. When I realized he directed a film called La Haine(Hate), I was even more suprised. I saw about 30 minutes of that film with no subtitles. It seems rather strange since the Paris inhabited in Amelie is basically perfect and out of a children's book while the Paris in La Haine is one of corruption and rascism. This film was pretty bizarre, but it feels like a children's fantasy.
Pros:
-Feel good
-Romantic?
-Audrey Tatou is beautiful
-Original
Cons:
-Not very deep
-Too stylistic?
-Too wierd for some?
Overall: A great escapist film
**** out of ****

No comments: