Thursday, August 17, 2006

Oh Reviews...

Masculin, Feminin(dir. Jean-Luc Godard)
I've seen Breathless and I was impressed with that and I saw the Rialto trailer for this and it got me hyped up to see this. Chantal Goya is beautiful. Thats the first thing I thought of after seeing the trailer. The movie however is just as beautiful(?) as her. I don't know if I should use the word beautiful, but whatever. The story could basically be summed by this is an examination of French youth in the 60s, but in all honesty, the story doesn't really mean anything. The story uses titles constantly and the youth recite intellectual sayings from literature and other art forms from the top of their head. Some incidents happen spontaneously like a man pulling a knife on Jean-Pierre Leaud and wife shooting her husband in public. I can't really explain anything and how I like it, but I liked it alot.
**** out of ****
Orpheus(dir. Jean Cocteau)
Blood of a Poet was a borefest. I didn't even want Blockbuster to send this movie, but its basically been on shuffle lately. Cocteau uses some of the tricks he showed off in Blood of a Poet in a film with an actual narrative. Its based on a myth. I believe a Greek one. The film has a very mystical feel to it that made you feel like anything was possible of happening in the film. Hell of a lot better than Blood of Poet.
**** out of ****
Telledaga Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby(dir. Adam McKay)
Disappointed? I guess. I saw the commercials and I found nothing particularly funny about them. It was still a fun movie to watch. The ending really did it for me. Anchorman was miles better. It seemed to suit Will Ferrell better since it had a very over the top feel to it. It was pretty good.
*** out of ****
Inside Man(dir. Spike Lee)
The story in this film just basically took over and not in a very good way. I don't get what the point of having this Nazi backstory and all that to make us sympathize with the criminals? It should have just been Denzel and Clive trying to one up each other or something. Jodie Foster's character just bugged the shit out of me and really had no purpose, but push along this Nazi backstory that I could honestly care less about. They should have just made a typical heist movie, but made in a Spike Lee way. This could have been directed by anyone. It was decent.
*** out of ****

No comments: