Monday, June 05, 2006

Movie Reviews and Oscar List

The 40 Year Old Virgin (dir. ?)
Not as funny as Anchorman, but it is a better movie. What does that mean? Its kind of like Anchorman is Hard-Boiled and The 40 Year Old Virgin is The Killer. Hard-Boiled has more and better action, but The Killer has a better storyline. This started out pretty vulgar and unintelligent and the further it exposed more warmth to the film. I think it is one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time.
**** out of ****

Days of Heaven (dir. Terrence Malick)
I just realized something about Terrence Malick and his "20 year sabbatical." Before the "sabbatical", he made 90 minute films and after he made pretty much epics. I think the best poetry is short and sweet. I probably enjoy The New World more than this, but this didn't have any parts that were slow. It was very brisk and pretty amazing.
**** out of ****

Munich (dir. Steven Spielberg)
Francois Truffant once said you can never make an anti-war film because the action on screen would still be exciting to audiences. This doesn't falls in this category. There is alot of violence and stuff that tries to make it an anti-war in Israel film, but it fails to disgust. It seems too exciting. That is probably the biggest flaw. Alot of critics says this film is pretty thought-provoking, but it really isn't. As an intense espionage film, it delivers. As a thought-provoking work of film, it fails. I still thought this film was pretty amazing.
**** out of ****

Bottle Rocket (dir. Wes Anderson)
I've officially seen 3 1/2 out of 4 1/2 Wes Anderson's works. He seems to be going downhill. I haven't seen The Royal Tenenbaums, but based on this, Rushmore, and The Life Aquatic, he seems to be more going for entertainment. I find Rushmore and this to have a certain depth that is simply untouchable. I was amazed to watch the short film version of Bottle Rocket then watch this. They are completely different. I found this film to have such depth and warmth that it gives Rushmore a run for its money. Rushmore is still my favorite film by him though.
**** out of ****

Best Picture Oscar List According to Me, Myself, and I:
1. Brokeback Mountain
2. Capote
3. Munich
4. Crash
5. Good Night, and Good Luck

No comments: