Thursday, February 09, 2006

Engagement vs. Entertainment in Film


After watching Andrei Rublev, it made me ponder whether films have to be entertaining? I feel Andrei Rublev was not an entertaining experience, but more of a rewarding one. This leads to me a new film theory I have come up with to approach films. There are films that do the work for you, entertainment, and there are films that makes you do the work, engagement. Entertainment can be good for an imaginative escapist experience while engagement can be intellectually stimulating and rewarding. Is one better than the other? In my book, I feel engagement is better. I might prefer engagement, but I feel most films have both philosophies in them. The best films are both engaging and entertaining. This leads to my conlusion, that every film has engagement and entertainment. If one film is mostly entertainment and barely any engagement, the film is bad. If a film is visa versa, it might be a different story. I feel engagement can be better than entertainment because it can lead to a better understading of human nature. I will approach new films with this philosophy in mind.
NEED TO EDIT

No comments: