Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Andrei Rublev


Recently I watched a film called Andrei Rublev directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. Andrei Tarkovsky is a Soviet filmmaker known for films that are intensely spiritual and very slow and meticulous. His films can either be enjoyable or boring as hell. This is one of the most unique experiences with a film I have ever had. At the beginning, I felt bored and basically restless. I turned the movie off about an hour into it and decided to watch it the next day. The next day I turned it on and I was still bored. After maybe twenty minutes, I turned it off again. I tried again the same day and it basically clicked. I felt like I engaged myself into the story. I began to enjoy it more and it felt really rewarding. I probably did not get the full experience the film can provide, but it challenged me as a film viewer. I want to see more Andrei Tarkovsky films in the near future. I strongly recommend viewing Andrei Rublev. The film will not tell the story for you, you must think and analyze while viewing this film. Most movies these days are like books on tape and this film would be considered a written novel. It supplies the words, but you have to read them yourself.

No comments: