Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oh Upcoming 2008 Releases...

I've done a sort of most anticipating list for 2008 already, but I'll do it with Youtube videos of the trailers and possibly links to my reviews in case if I happen to see it so it'll be simultaneously be a checklist for me and a viewing guide for you(my make-believe audience). Here we go...

January 18
Cassandra's Dream(dir. Woody Allen)
It looks like something along the lines of a British Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, but hopefully, the Wood-man's film is much better than that overdramatic actor showcase.


Still Life(dir. Jia Zhang Ke)
Trailer's in German, but it'll have to do. Many claim this film is his best-to-date so I got to see it.


January 25
Rambo(dir. Sylvester Stallone)
New trailer sucks. I really need to see that throat getting ripped out.


4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days(dir. Cristian Mungiu)
It won the Palme d'Or and actually looks good. Enough said.

February 15
Diary of the Dead(dir. George A. Romero)
BRAINS!!!
Diary of the Dead - Exclusive Trailer

Add to My Profile | More Videos

February 29
Semi-Pro(dir. Kent Alterman)
Woody Harrelson has a great head of hair.


March 7
Paranoid Park(dir. Gus Van Sant)
This trailer's second half is pretty shitty, but it still looks like something worth seeing.


March 28
Stop Loss(dir. Kimberly Pierce)
It's a message movie from Hollywood that I actually want to see? Yeah, I didn't see that coming, either...


April 2
The Flight of the Red Balloon(dir. Hou Hsiao-Hsien)
It's Hou Hsiao-Hsien, dawgz...


April 4
My Blueberry Nights(dir. Wong Kar-Wai)
Brief appearance by Chan Marshall(aka Cat Power) + Wong Kar-Wai = Must-See.

Had to include this picture as well.


April 11
The Brothers Bloom(dir. Rian Johnson)
Liked Brick well enough. Maybe, this will turn out well.

April 28
Harold and Kumar Escape from Guatanamo Bay(dir. Jon Hurwitz and Hay Schlossberg)
Neil Patrick Harris as... Neil Patrick Harris.


April 30
Mister Lonely(dir. Harmony Korine)
I thought the trailer to Gummo was amazing and saw a little bit of it on IFC. I didn't like what I saw so much. It felt like experimentation for the sake of experimentation instead of using this experimentation to create something dramatically engaging. This film, however, looks more narratively and dramatically focused compared to his other work so maybe it'll end up beeing good. I should probably watch his other movies completely before writing them off, but I don't really have all that much of an interest in seeing them and I actually want to see this one.

May 2
Iron Man(dir. John Favreau)
I just love the ridiculous and obvious use of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" in the trailer.


May 9
Speed Racer(dir. The Wachowski Siblings?)
I don't know why, but I'm actually looking forward to this candy-colored rainbow-fest of a movie.


July 18
The Dark Knight(dir. Christopher Nolan)
Batman > Every other superhero. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Had to put this poster on here as well.


July 25
Step Brothers(dir. Adam McKay)
Looks beautiful.


August 8
The Pineapple Express(dir. David Gordon Green)
Looks beautiful as well.


October 3
Where the Wild Things Are(dir. Spike Jonze)
Don't remember the story much, but this definitely looks promising.


Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist(dir. Peter Sollett)
I think I have a man crush for Michael Cera.


Some other movies with no set release date that will likely come out in 2008:
Adam Resurrected(dir. Paul Schrader)
Guerilla & The Argentine(dir. Steven Soderbergh)
Jack and Diane(dir. Bradley Rust Gray)
Lesbians and werewolves? Sign me up... twice.
Machete(dir. Robert Rodriguez)
Mammoth(dir. Lukas Moodysson)
Two Lovers(dir. James Gray)
The Box(dir. Richard Kelly)
The Untouchables: Capone Rising(dir. Brian De Palma)
Didn't like the original all that much, but I feel I've recently become a De Palma-phile so maybe I'll dig this.
Genova(dir. Michael Winterbottom)
Hopefully, he'll redeem himself after that piece of shit called A Mighty Heart.
Happy-Go-Lucky(dir. Mike Leigh)
The Mother of Tears(dir. Dario Argento)
Go Go Tales(dir. Abel Ferrara)
Burn After Reading(dir. The Coen Brothers)
Death of the Reel(dir. Guy Maddin)
Untitled Todd Field Project(dir. Todd Field)
Even If You Walk and Walk(dir. Hirokazu Koreeda)

Movies that will likely not come out in 2008, but if they do, will easily be some of my must-see upcoming films of the year:
Tree of Life(dir. Terrence Malick)
The Road(dir. John Hillcoat)
The Limits of Control(dir. Jim Jarmusch)
Something(dir. Lynne Ramsay)

No comments: