Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oh 2007(music)...

Ran out of ideas for lists for movies so I'm doing music now. YIPPY! I might do videogame lists as well, but I haven't played much games from this year so don't really expect a 2007 list anytime soon. I might start doing music reviews, but I find it particularly hard to talk about music since it's usually just I either dig it or I don't.

2007(no order for now)
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

It's probably their most consistent album yet and "For Reverend Green" is an amazing song.

Feist - The Reminder

There's nothing on this record as profoundly beautiful as her cover of "Lover's Spit" on Broken Social Scene's Bee Hives, but it has it's moments("I Feel It All", "My Moon Man", "1234", and "Past in Present").
St. Vincent - Marry Me

"Now Now" is a great opener and while the album doesn't necessarily maintain that level of quality, it's still pretty bitching.
Burial - Untrue

Probably my favorite album of the year, but it's hard not to feel that it gets kind of repetitive.
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala

"The Opposite of Hallelujah" just puts a smile on my face. It's ridiculous.
Kanye West - Graduation
Probably the best rap album of the year.
Grizzly Bear - Friend LP
Their self-covers are great and that CSS cover of "Knife" is simply mind-blowing.
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
I personally think it's better than Funeral.

Honorable mentions:
Tegan and Sara - The Con
It's not great by any means, but the amount of times I listened to this is almost embarrassing. There are some songs that are just flat-out Hilary Duff bad, but it has it's fair share of good ones as well.
PJ Harvey - White Chalk
Need to listen to it more before I can give a real opinion, but all I know is that I dig it.
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
Don't really have anything to say. I haven't listened to it that much, but I know it's definitely good.
Battles - Mirrored
It's slightly overrated, but "Atlas" is an awesome song and they definitely have an original sound.
M.I.A. - Kala
I find most of her music annoying, but "Paper Planes" is simply irresistible.
Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams
"Campfire" is great even if the rest of the album isn't.

Overrated mentions:
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
It's fine, but I fail to see what's so great about it. The amount of critical acclaim it has received makes it seem like the greatest album ever.
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
His songs start out fine, but they ultimately feel overlong and stretched.
Ghostface Killah - The Big Doe Rehab
If it wasn't for "Killa Lipstick" and "Slow Down", this would have been merely mediocre.

Wrap-up:
Nothing this year was as great as say The Woods by Sleater-Kinney, but yeah, not much is. I also need to listen to more metal and punk albums from this year.

No comments: