Thursday, November 15, 2007

Oh Vienna...

Before Sunrise(dir. Richard Linklater)
The only reason why I watched this movie was because I want to see Before Sunset and I hate not seeing a movie that preceded whatever movie I want to see beforehand. The biggest problem I had was that they hit it off too well and too quickly. If the film was perhaps more whimsical and hopelessly romantic, I would be able to believe it, but since the film is fairly realistic in terms of their conversations and the things that they do, it's hard to believe it especially given that they're fairly analytic about their relationship. While their conversations are definitely believable, it's hard to really say they're all that interesting. Philosophical banter can be amusing like in Linklater's Dazed & Confused and A Scanner Darkly, but here, it's kind of mundane and uninteresting. The couple don't feel their conversations are ultimately trivial even though in a way, they pretty much are. If these characters have understood that their conversations are trivial much like the characters in a Whit Stillman film do, it would have been more fun and enjoyable. I ragged on this film enough. I thought it was good, but you could clearly see how they could have improved it. I think a lot of it's problems could have been assuaged if it was more romantic. I hope Before Sunset is. I recommend.
*** out of ****

No comments: