Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Oh Thai Midget Cowboy...

Pride & Prejudice(dir. Joe Wright)
I dare anybody who finds Keira Knightley unattractive to watch this and not be enraptured by her beauty. It's hard not to be won over by this film even if it's not exactly intellectually complex. It's romanticism is a little too optimistic, but I was still able to enjoy it immensely. The cinematography was quite beautiful as was the film itself. Gotta see Atonement now. I highly recommend.
***1/2 out of ****
Tears of the Black Tiger(dir. Wisit "Sid" Sasanatieng)
This movie contains a Thai midget cowboy so do I really need to even write a review? Much like Planet Terror, I'm not sure if I was supposed to be gawking or laughing at it, but unlike that film, you're actually able to gawk at the film with it's inventive deaths and intense colors and laugh at the film with it's imagery of a dancing midget cowboy. It plays out like a western melodrama with WW2-era weaponry including bazookas directed by Seijun Suzuki in a more coherent and silly fashion than his usual self. It's stylistic excess simply can't compete with anything remotely transcendentally imaginative by Suzuki, but it's still a good and crazy watch. I recommend.
*** out of ****

No comments: