Monday, November 19, 2007

Oh 100...

Top 10
1. Lilya 4-Ever(dir. Lukas Moodysson)
2. Henry Fool(dir. Hal Hartley)
3. In a Lonely Place(dir. Nicholas Ray)
4. Titicut Follies(dir. Frederick Wiseman)
5. Woman in the Dunes(dir. Hiroshi Teshigahara)
6. The Mirror(dir. Andrei Tarkovsky)
7. L'Argent(dir. Robert Bresson)
8. The Hole(dir. Tsai Ming-Liang)
9. Pistol Opera(dir. Seijun Suzuki)
10. Choose Me(dir. Alan Rudolph)

I posted this on a message board. It's my top 100 films.
No Limit. No Order. No Mercy.
1. Lilya 4-Ever
Because of Oksana Akinshina's performance and the ending overwhelms me with sadness and happiness.
2. Show Me Love/Fucking Amal
Because it puts a smile on my face.
3. Chungking Express
Because it puts a smile on my face and Faye Wong is adorable.
4. 2046
Because it make me nostalgic and Faye Wong is adorable.
5. Choose Me
Because it puts a smile on my face.
6. M*A*S*H
Because it makes me laugh, I love Catch-22, and Elliot Gould is the fucking man.
7. California Split
Because it makes me laugh and Elliot Gould is the fucking man.
8. The Player
Because traffic was a bitch.
9. Short Cuts
Because it made me fall in love with Robert Altman.
10. Nashville
Because it don't worry me.
11. The New World
Because the ending overwhelms me and the cinematography is gorgeous.
12. Days of Heaven
Because it's poetry for the eyes.
13. Mirror
Because the ending overwhelms me and it's poetry for the eyes.
14. Andrei Rublev
Because it changed my perception of what a film can be and the Jester in the rain scene encapsulates everything that is beautiful and tragic about our existence.
15. The Sacrifice
Because it's poetry for the eyes.
16. Miami Vice
Because the ending overwhelms me and the cinematography is gorgeous.
17. Heat
Because the ending overwhelms me.
18. My Darling Clementine
Because of Henry Fonda and it's poetry for the eyes.
19. The Searchers
Because of John Wayne holding up Natalie Wood in the air.
20. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Because of Vera Miles putting a cactus flower on John Wayne's casket and Lee Marvin.
21. Pistol Opera
Because it's fucking insane.
22. Branded to Kill
Because I secretly want a room full of dead butterflies.
23. Tokyo Drifter
Because I secretly want to sing the theme song of the movie I'm in.
24. L'Argent
Because it's the first Bresson film I fell in love with.
25. Lancelot of the Lake
Because Knights + Bresson = Awesome.
26. Diary of a Country Priest
Because it's poetry for the eyes.
27. Mouchette
Because it's poetry for the eyes.
28. In a Lonely Place
Because it's the first film that convinced me that Bogey was a great actor, further convinced me that Gloria Grahame was the sexiest woman ever to grace celluloid, and the ending overwhelms me.
29. On Dangerous Ground
Because it further convinced me that Ida Lupino is a total babe and the ending overwhelms me.
30. The Killing
Because Sterling Hayden is the fucking man and it's absolutely thrilling.
31. 2001: A Space Odyssey
Because Space + Classical Music = Awesome.
32. Dr. Strangelove
Because mein Fuhrer, I CAN WALK!
33. Henry Fool
Because any film that can make someone having an intense shit into something mildly moving is a masterpiece in my book.
34. Trust
Because the ending overwhelms me.
35. Simple Men
Because the ending overwhelms me and is probably the greatest ending. Ever.
36. Fay Grim
Because the ending overwhelms me.
37. Mulholland Dr.
Because it's fucking insane and has some of the sexiest sex scenes ever. SEX.
38. The Hole
Because the ending overwhelms me and puts a smile on my face.
39. Rebels of the Neon God
Because the soundtrack is rad and Tsai is the man.
40. Goodbye, Dragon Inn
Because it bored the shit out of me until the ending, which was absolutely beautiful.
41. Vive L'Amour
Because the masturbation-sex scene was pretty hilarious and Tsai is the man. The ending overwhelmed me with it's length.
42. What Time is It There?
Because Buddhism is funny and Tsai is the man.
43. Down by Law
Because I screama, you screama, we all screama for ice creama.
44. Dead Man
Because the soundtrack is rad and the cinematography is gorgeous.
45. Millenium Mambo
Because the beginning and end are absolutely beautiful. Shu Qi is quite easy on the eyes as well.
46. The Royal Tenenbaums
Because of these days... and the ending overwhelms me.
47. Suspiria
Because the soundtrack is rad and it's fucking insane.
48. Winter Light
Because it's the first film to convince me that Bergman was, in fact, a master.
49. The Seventh Seal
Because Bibi Andersson's performance puts a smile on my face and Death is one hell of a chess player.
50. Killer of Sheep
Because it turns human existence into something beautifully poetic.
51. The Pawnbroker
Because it takes the Holocaust and deals with it in profound and modern ways.
52. Do the Right Thing
Because it makes me think.
53. Scorpio Rising
Because it's fucking insane and any movie that compares a biker to Jesus is a OK in my book.
54. Damned If You Don't
Because the ending overwhelms me on a sexual and emotional level.
55. The Ties That Bind
Because it makes me think and the cinematography is gorgeous.
56. First Comes Love
Because it's the most succinct and beautiful argument for legalizing gay marriage.
57. The Rules of the Road
Because it's ending is overwhelmingly cathartic and setting pop songs to images of station wagons is genius.
58. Lessons of Darkness
Because oil has never looked so good.
59. Aguirre, The Wrath of God
Because it's fucking insane and that tribesman can sure work that flute.
60. Little Dieter Needs to Fly
Because the ending overwhelms me.
61. Platform
Because the monotony of life has never been so poetically beautiful.
62. Paris, Texas
Because of the scene with the phones and glass.
63. The Marriage of Maria Braun
Because she's a babe and I have never seen a period piece like it.
64. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Because Ben Gazzara and John Cassavetes are the fucking mans.
65. Shadows
Because John Cassavetes is the fucking man.
66. A Woman Under the Influence
Because Gena Rowlands is amazing and it convinced me that Peter Falk is the fucking man.
67. The Sweet Hereafter
Because it's so utterly elegant and poetic in it's depiction of coming to terms with death.
68. Belle De Jour
Because I wish prostitutes looked like that.
69. Rear Window
Because it surprises me even though I know what happens.
70. Psycho
Because it surprises me even though I know what happens.
71. Vertigo
Because obsession has never been so fun.
72. The Birds
Because it sounds horrible on paper but is quite terrifying on the screen.
73. Woman in the Dunes
Because it's absolutely haunting.
74. Harakiri
Because it further convinced me that Akira Kurosawa isn't that great.
75. The Wind Will Carry Us
Because it's poetry for the eyes and makes me think.
76. Taste of Cherry
Because it makes me think.
77. Close-up
Because it makes me think.
78. Small Deaths
Because it's poetry for the eyes.
79. The Big Lebowski
Because Jeff Lebowski should be everybody's role model.
80. Rocco and His Brothers
Because Alain Delon is the fucking man and melodrama has never been so gritty.
81. The Passenger
Because it convinced me that sometime in Jack Nicholson's life, he was actually a great actor.
82. Apocalypse Now
Because war has never been so beautiful in all it's chaos and glory.
83. Taxi Driver
Because it took me three tries before I actually enjoyed it and it's grit is almost intoxicating.
84. Nostalgia(Frampton)
Because it makes me think.
85. Masculin, feminin
Because it's what I imagined when I first read and heard about the French New Wave and Chantal Goya is adorable.
86. Landscape in the Mist
Because that hand coming out of the sea is crazy.
87. The Battle of Algiers
Because it convinced me that terrorism could, in fact, be poetry.
88. Ashes and Diamonds
Because bloodstained sheets make awesome flags.
89. La Dolce Vita
Because it's fucking insane.
90. 8 1/2
Because it's fucking insane.
91. You Only Live Once
Because Henry Fonda and cynicism has never been so rad.
92. Ace in the Hole
Because of Kirk Douglas's performance and cynicism has never been so rad.
93. The Lady from Shanghai
Because it convinced me that Welles was a master.
94. Le Cercle Rouge
Because Alain Delon is the fucking man and those club scenes are awe-inspiring.
95. Le Samourai
Because Alain Delon is the fucking man and it's meticulousness is downright intoxicating.
96. The Fall of the House of Usher
Because it's poetry for the eyes.
97. Wanda
Because it turns human existence into something beautifully poetic.
98. Titicut Follies
Because it's horrifying and beautiful.
99. Hospital
Because it's horrifying and it restores my faith in humanity.
100. Dekalog Six
Because it's the best Dekalog out of the seven I've seen and portrays love in a tragically beautiful way.

No comments: