Sunday, August 26, 2007

Oh Maggie Cheung...

Clean(dir. Olivier Assayas)
I really liked it's somber tone. It was very relaxing and "mediative." This movie seems more like a showcase for it's actors than it's director, but having not seen any of his other work, I can't be totally sure. I am sure that Maggie Cheung and Nick Nolte give good performances. Actually, I'll say pretty much everybody except the kid give good performances. I thought the ending was just right for this type of story. Biggest flaw? It was too clean. Sorry for the pun, but it just seems like a movie about a recovering drug addict should be a little bit more gritty. The whole sub-plot about trying to get Tricky to convince her father-in-law to give her custody of her son was pretty ridiculous, but it's actually handled well in the film and it made sense at the time. It was really good.
***1/2 out of ****

No comments: