Sunday, July 22, 2007

Oh Woody and Jeff...

Manhattan(dir. Woody Allen)
Hopelessly romantic. Maybe alittle too much. The planetarium scene is just whimsical and lovely, but the film eventually gets bog down by it's dialogue and story. I guess the rational side of the film takes over and it stops being hopelessly romantic, but I wish it didn't. Isaac's attempt to rekindle his romance with his young ex-girlfriend is definately romantic, but you get a sense that their relationship isn't going to make it. Starts off well, but eventually I just kind of got sick of it.
*** out of ****
The Big Lebowski(dir. Joel & Ethan Coen)[rewatch]
I never liked this film that much. Sure, there were bits and pieces like Walter flipping out with a gun in the bowling alley that I liked. I watched some clips of the movie on Youtube and thought they were funny as hell. Scenes I didn't even think that were funny were now hilarious so I decided to rewatch this. My biggest problem was probably that I didn't understand the humor. The randomness and dead-pan style of Jeff Bridges's The Dude just makes the crazy events seem hilarious. The film's greatest asset is that it tries to make sense of the randomness and almost try to make it seem logical in terms of it's narrative. A film like Anchorman doesn't even attempt to do that. I also probably paid attention to the plot alittle too much, when it is simply an excuse to create bizarre situations for it's characters. I loved it.
**** out of ****

No comments: