Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oh Timmy and Richy...

Edward Scissorhands(dir. Tim Burton)
A Frankenstein story with a cuddly and sensitive Freddy Krueger. His attempts at satirizing suburbia fall flat and his style seems fairly superficial. I can't help, but wonder what it would have been like if it didn't have his Disney-fied Goth touch to it. I still liked it, though.
*** out of ****
Dazed and Confused(dir. Richard Linklater)
Last time I watched this was on TV, which probably actually enhanced the experience due to commercials fragmenting the "narrative." When you watch this film essentially in one sitting, you wonder what is the point of all this? I guess it takes on the aimless nature of it's characters, but there's a serious lack of narrative drive that makes it drag at times. The sense of nostalghia and the humor is obviously the main draw to the film. I liked it.
*** out of ****

No comments: