Saturday, April 14, 2007

Oh Kirk...

Ace in the Hole(dir. Billy Wilder)
A film noir with a conscience? A review I read just a couple of seconds ago talks about how the character's transformation seems clunky and contrived. I can easily see how someone can feel that way, but in my opinion, the picture wouldn't have had any impact if he had no conscience. He thought he had control of the situation, but when he starts to realize that he doesn't have control of the complete situation, he starts looking like a human being. One of the most delicate moments in the film comes from a family that we follow throughout the film. They have come to see all the hoopla about Leo being caved in. You naturally despise them since people like them are what propel Chuck to do what he does, but there's a moment after Leo dies, that is just so moving and you see these people aren't stupid for participating in this media circus, they're just human beings. The wife cries and it struck me in a very emotional way. I almost started to cry such a beautiful moment in cinema. Such a moment frustrates me because the ending played off as some sort of sick joke. I still highly recommend.
***1/2 out of ****

No comments: