Sunday, April 29, 2007

Oh David Jaffe...

I accidentally double-posted my review for Bobby so I decided to talk about David Jaffe's response to the reviews to Calling All Cars!, which looks pretty fun to me. Biggest problem with his "review of reviews" is that he thinks the Gamespot review is unfair because they criticized the game's single-player not be longer. Jaffe's defense is that the game was not intended to be a single-player, but to be a party game for friends to talk trash onto eachother. I guess that is fine, but lack of content in a $10 game is a problem. Only 4 maps. OK. I can understand the single-player being short and if there was a ton of content for multiplayer having the score seem unfair, but only 4 maps? That is pretty shitty in terms of multiplayer. I could easily understand if the game was only $5, but $10 can get you a full fledged PC game. Hell, you could buy Age of Mythology or Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth for that amount of money. The game still looks really good to me because I'm a big Twisted Metal nut and it reminds me of that and it especially reminds me of Rogue Trip. The responses to his blog post are even worse with people saying Gamespot suxxxx and that they're basically a piece of shit. I have a ton of respect for sites like Gamespot because they can be harsh where all the other sites are not so when a game gets a good review from them, usually that means it's an actual good game unlike IGN's extremely high scores to games that were hyped to the X-treme. I also know that not all their reviews are right. Their reviews after all and your opinion should really come into play when you're playing a game. Jet Moto is a perfect example. Best racer on PS1 and they gave it a 6 or maybe even lower. They also gave the NES TMNT a 2.7, which seems harsh. I also have the same problem with Slant Magazine. They give out a lot of bad reviews for a lot of movies, but when they do give a good review, it seems to me more meaningful than some other film criticism site. Yeah... Long POST.

No comments: