Saturday, December 23, 2006

Oh Big and Tall..,

The Tall T(dir. Budd Boetticher)
I usually like the more subtle moments in westerns, but action also helps too. There wasn't many subtle moments or action. I have the same sort of feeling I did with The Naked Spur and Winchester '73, but I appreciate this movie more. It is probably because the story is so simple and straightforward. The film is only about 75 minutes, but I feel it could have used more time to develop the characters. I'll definately check out more of this director's work. I'll probably check out Seven Men from Now.
*** out of ****
The Big Heat(dir. Fritz Lang)
This kind of took me by surprise because of how underwhelmed I was by Scarlet Street. In Scarlet Street, the characters seemed to be pretty much stereotypes and the film lacked subtlety. This film has some of the same qualities, but it simply works. It works amazingly well.
**** out of ****

No comments: