Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fight Club Review

Three people told me this was their favorite movie. So I wanted to see it because everybody gives this film praise. This is the first film that I have seen directed by David Fincher(Seven, The Game, and etc.). It started out with alot of energy and really had me interested until probably 90 minutes into it. The movie's biggest problem was the length. If it was only 90 minutes, I would probably be giving it 4 stars, but I'm not. I think alot of people probably enjoy it because of the "twist." That doesn't make the movie that great. The signs are easy to identify if you knew the "twist" beforehand so it might be a cool rewatch, but after that, I would probably get sick of it. It definately isn't the masterpiece as everybody says it is. It just felt like a film that was edgy to mainstream audiences. The whole thing with Bob with tits was pretty pathetic because it just felt it was trying to be edgy, but I should probably blame the book for that. There was alot of things that Tyler Durden says that probably gets endlessly quoted by fans, but his whole anti-consumerism slant seems rather hypocritical since he wears designer clothes that are nicer than anything Edward Norton's character wears. I don't know. It was pretty good.
*** out of ****

No comments: