Saturday, March 04, 2006

2046 Review + Junebug Mini Review


2046
This film is unique because it is not about ideas like plot and meaning, its more about emotions. Last night, I was reading some stuff about Ray Carney and he feels film should be more about emotions than ideas. This is the second film that I have seen by Wong Kar-wai. The first being Chungking Express. It is strange because I love both films, but there are definately points in the story where it is not interesting. They will have parts where I think it is the greatest thing I have ever seen turn into boredom or with Chungking Express, it is not interesting in the beginning then half-way in it becomes really interesting. 2046 is like this but reverse. The first hour and half is simply amazing and the last half hour I lost some interest. The last half hour was still good, but not on the level of the first half and a half.
Pros:
-Great atmosphere
-Great use of repetition with music
-Great chemistry between Tony Leung and Zhing Zayi
-Great almost all the way through
-Faye Wong
-Romantic?
Cons:
-The last half hour is simply good
-The parts in 2046 kind of do not work
Overall: Almost flawless film
**** out of ****

+


Junebug
I watched this a couple of weeks ago. I have nothing really smart to say with this film. I simply liked the feel of it. It felt good, so its good. Its a low-key family drama that is not cliched or about the estranged family members becoming closer to their family. It is simply about how family will always be your family even if you do not like some of the people in it.
*** out of ****

No comments: